Thursday 30 June 2011

Just The Beginning

Where to start?  Where to begin?  I never thought I would ever be “blogging,” but after Amy provided the idea and why it could be beneficial, I adhered to her advice.  Please note that these are the ramblings of one without a filter.  There will be curse words, grammar mistakes, run-on sentences and at times, a possible politically incorrect statement/ idea.  I don’t believe in curbing the truth (or at least my interpretation of what the truth is.)  I will use spell check, so hopefully I can maintain coherency to know the difference between to, too, and two.  If two of you decide to blog too, please let me know... swish.

Apparently I’m an IT genius.  Eat it nerds!  I know how to find wireless connections and plug in projectors for PowerPoint presentations!  Once our orientation commenced it was me, and these 4 other mid 40- 50s ladies during our in country briefing.  Jesus Christ, you would have thought I was Steve Jobs himself.  Please don’t get me wrong, all of them are lovely human beings that have a plethora of knowledge that I am still striving to obtain.  Each one of these women bring a vast knowledge of their experiences working throughout the world… but they can’t connect to wireless internet.  I guess my generation should feel lucky that we were on the cusp of (what I feel is the never ending third industrial revolution) technology and the internet.  It is the same reason that John Mc Cain could never be President.  The man had never used “google!”  Um yeah, sounds like a person who is in touch with the people.  But it is not his fault, and it is not the fault of the women I “trained” with.  The internet introduced itself to a teenage me, with its dialing dance and its boop boop boop boop boop.  I believe that my generation is the last one that can remember a life without internet.  Maybe that is part of the reason I will stat this blog.  I can’t let these young whipper snappers get a leg up.  I transgress.  Bottom line, if I know the most about technology among my co-workers… I think we might all be in trouble.  And when I say “we,” I mean some of them. 

I am now living in a town named Bentong.  Don’t bother looking it up, all you will see is a toothless guy sporting a white shirt.  However, I like Malaysia so far.  Other than the disorganization that I expect from any government program, all has been well.  I have a feeling that once November and December roll around, I will be appreciating it even more in the 80 degree weather.  Driving here has been interesting.  I am living in a junglesque place so it has been beautiful.  It is hard to acknowledge while you are driving because there aren’t any real traffic laws, so I keep my eyes on the road.  I saw four of the schools that I will be attending to.  Absolutely beautiful locations.  The children that were still around seemed very enthusiastic about my presence.

At the moment I am staying in a hotel.  Regardless of the multiple lizards in the shower, it has been quite pleasant.  It has AC and internet, the backbone of any tropic getaway.  Starting tomorrow morning I will be looking for a place near the schools that I am working with.  I don’t know how long I can keep a blog up, but I will do the best I can. 

Drive it like you stole it.
BML



No comments:

Post a Comment